Basic Function :
Carries out a variety of skilled tasks for the Grinding or Flotation sections. Includes such tasks as determining specific gravity, monitoring mill throughput, setting dilution water flow to mill, loading steel make-up balls, hauling out mill rejects, measuring re-agent dosages, setting slime levels in flotation cells, adjusting air to flotation cells for optimizing mineral recovery etc. Records all relevant details on log sheet
Work Performed :
- Determines specific gravities (S.G). Includes calibrating S.G scale and cleaning relevant equipment, obtaining portion of main slurry stream on which S.G. is to be determined, filling S.G. flask to correct level, weighing on scale and recording reading. Monitors S.G. for four streams.
- Monitors mill throughput. Includes reading totaliser and adjusting accordingly on a continuing basis.
- Sets dilution water flow to mill. Includes monitoring flow indicators and changing flow as required.
- Loads steel make up balls into mill. Includes starting drum lifter, collecting drum of steel balls, emptying into buckets, pushing to overhead crane position, hooking and lifting steel ball bucket, emptying into steel ball feeding bin and controlling steel ball feed into mill by gate setting.
- Hauls out mill rejects by using bobcat loader and takes to dumping area.
- Measures re-agent dosages. Includes cleaning measuring cylinder, physically running the stream of re-agents into measuring cylinder for specified period, and adjusting re-agent flow in case of any deviation.
- Sets slime levels in flotation cells. Includes physically observing levels and adjusting as necessary by opening or closing gate valves.
- Adjusts air to flotation cells by physically adjusting valve to control air supply.
- Records all relevant details at regular intervals during the shift.
- Operates pump feeding cyclones for pumping away copper concentrates and float tails.
- Carries out other similar or related duties such as keeping work areas clean and tidy, reporting potential defects to his supervisor, handing over to incoming shift relevant information required.
Regular routine contacts with Operators in other sections.
Independence of Operation:
Carries out duties in accordance with standard operating procedures and direct instructions. Work is subject to periodic check.
Physical Effort: %
Using test equipment and measuring cylinder 35
Walking, standing and climbing 60
Exposure to considerable dirt, dust, noise and water; fumes, vibration, grease and oil (slight).
Completion of Secondary (12 years) education.
3 years’ plant operating experience in the mining industry including a period of intensive training on the job
Fair spoken and written English.
Submit your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget to write your applied position in the subject of your email.