Reports To : Foreman, Mechanical
Basic Function :
Directs auto and heavy equipment staff in performing electrical and mechanical maintenance and repair work on a wide variety of heavy equipment and heavy and light duty vehicles at the surface or underground. Provides training to Saudi Nationals (in both Surface and underground environments). Participates in maintenance tasks as required.
- Directs the activities of mechanical/electrical maintenance staff.
- Inspects all vehicles and heavy equipment coming from various locations for repair and maintenance. Gives guidance and instructions to maintenance staff. Follows up and checks the status of maintenance and repair work in progress. Includes guiding craftsman in performing the more complicated mechanical and electrical repairs, resolving difficulties as they arise and ensuring completion of work in accordance with established specifications, craft standards, time tables and schedules.
- Supervises the activities of shift mechanics carrying out repairs and maintenance work underground. Coordinates the work carried out by maintenance personnel and resolves difficulties as they arise.
- Diagnoses problems and faults causing breakdowns and recommends corrective action to be taken. Includes supervising the dismantling, repairing, maintaining and reassembling the faulty parts i.e. engines, gearboxes, clutches, ignition systems, etc. As required visits the underground operations to diagnose and repair equipment problems. Recommends replacement of worn parts as applicable.
- Ensures that adequate service records are maintained showing spare parts, materials and time expended and number of staff for each repair job. Ensures that unused parts and materials are returned to stores and that tools are cleaned and returned to storage.
- Inspects vehicles on a daily basis for obvious external faults such as burned out bulbs, low tire pressures, etc. Ensures corrective action prior to releasing vehicle for normal operation.
- Gives technical advice and guidance to subordinates on the operation and proper use of machinery such as lathe, engine analyzer, brake tester, wheel alignment machine, etc.
- Coordinates with stores personnel and arranges for spares required to carry out ongoing jobs. Includes the preparation of relevant documents. Initiates the local purchase of spares which are not available in the stores.
- Updates records and job cards after completion of jobs. Includes entering in the computer various data such as spares purchased for cash or from stores, type of work carried out, manpower utilization and charges.
- Carries out other similar or related duties such as providing training to Saudi Nationals, ensuring good housekeeping at job sites, observing fire and safety regulations, attending to breakdowns and arranging vehicle recovery as required, refurbishing and reclaiming of defective and/or worn out components of equipment, etc.
Regular daily contacts at own level with personnel from various departments and maintenance staff to exchange information and to coordinate the scheduling of repair and maintenance.
Independence of Operation:
Works according to established methods, procedures and craft standards. Supervisor carries out regular spot checks of all vehicle repair.
Provides work directions to:
1 Mechanic, H/E
1 Electrician, H/E
1 Mechanic, Auto
1 Electrician, Auto
Use of hand tools, standing, walking, lifting and bending 50%
Covered non air-conditioned workshop area with exposure
to prevailing weather conditions, heat, fumes, humidity,
grease, dirt, noise 50%
Air-conditioned environment 50%
- Completion of Secondary (12 years) education plus 2 years formal training leading to a diploma in automotive maintenance.
- 6 years’ experience in a similar job with 2 years supervisory experience.
- Fair to good knowledge of job English.
Submit your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget to write your applied position in the subject of your email.